After 40 days at the boat yard we are finally back in the water! Our long list of projects have all been checked off and we are READY, ready to finally go cruising!
It’s hard to believe how far we’ve come in just a few months. Josh quit his job at the end of July to begin working on Agape full time and I can’t even begin to express how proud I am of this man. He has tackled every project with enthusiasm and dedication, spending almost 10 hours a day working aboard Agape. Reading, researching, studying and preparing for hours before tackling each new project. He has made our home safe, seaworthy and truly beautiful.
Everyday as time ran down, the stressed increased, and we had to remind each other to slow down and enjoy the process. After all, this is why we’d worked so hard the last few years. Each project, each day, each moment of feeling overwhelmed and totally in over our heads put us one step closer to making our dream a reality.
We’ve learned that perspective is everything, and the key to abundant living is learning how to thrive in every situation. We are so incredibly blessed to have healthy bodies, the time and the support to dedicate ourselves to working on our boat. Together we have accomplished more in one month than most people do in a year.
Here is a list of projects we finished while on the hard:
- Pull the mast, measure and order new rigging.
- Pop, sand and fill blisters on bottom and rudder.
- Prep bottom and rudder for paint.
- Pull the engine and send off for new seals and injectors.
- Fiberglass sump of bilge.
- Repaint bilge.
- Re-fiberglass in base of compression post.
- Strip, sand and re-caulk teak decks, replace missing bungs.
- Strip, sand and cetol cockpit combing, hand rails, dorad boxes and hatches.
- Remove liferaft
- Grind out and fill holes and small cracks in topside.
- Remove epoxy and reinstall all deck hardware.
- Sew new curtains, winch covers, dive compressor cover and jerry can covers.
- Redo galley headliner, (remove, cut new backing boards, glue new vinyl & reinstall).
- Rewire electrical under headliner.
- Rip out two starboard seats, build a bench.
- Varnish new bench and all windows.
- Service all winches.
- Get propeller serviced.
- Replace cutless bearing and PSS shaft seal.
- Paint new non-skid.
- Rebed and fix small cracks in traveler.
- Install mast steps.
- Install new winches
- Repaint the bottom.
- Repaint dorads.
- Reinstall the engine.
- Buff the hull, polish stainless and lifelines.
- Change oil in the windless and generator.
- Install deck organizers and new blocks.
- Install new rigging.
- Install SSB antenna
After remodeling the bench area we ordered all new custom indoor and outdoor cushions. We had planned on keeping the old ones to save on expenses, but when Josh accidentally put his knee through one of the satie cushions, we decided it was time to replace the 30 year old cushions with new foam and heavy duty fabric. We are loving the new look! The lighter colored cushions really open up the space.
Once most of the projects were finished and Agape was show worthy, we threw a going away party to celebrate this new chapter of our lives with family and friends.
It was a nautical themed costume party and so many people we love came out, dressed up and danced the night away with us!
Every surface was cleaned and polished, inside and out. Every hatch, locker and drawer was re-organized and provisioned. Agape had never looked better! We were so proud to finally show off all our hard work and our boat that we love so much.
Josh and I were overwhelmed by how many people came out to show their encouragement and support. We ate, drank and danced, celebrating long into the night with a small after party on Agape.
We are currently working on a new video sharing more from our time on the hard refitting the boat, and plan to post several more in-depth write ups on a few of the larger projects, as well as a break down on costs for those of you who are interested.
Thank you so much for following along on our journey and we can’t wait to share more!